Never send money to someone you have not met in person or for an emergency situation you have not personally confirmed.
Do not send money to an individual if you are sending:
- To people you haven't met in person;
- For an emergency situation without verifying that it’s a real emergency;
- For an internet purchase;
- To pay for antivirus protection;
- To pay for the deposit or rental property;
- To claim lottery or prize winnings;
- To pay for taxes;
- As donation for a charitable institution;
- For a mystery shopping assignment;
- For an employment opportunity;
- For a credit card or loan fee;
- To solve an immigration issue.
Money orders may be paid to the receiver very quickly. After the money is picked up, it will be very difficult for Western Union to reimburse it, even if you were a victim of a scam.
If you believe you've been victimized by scammers, call the Western Union fraud hotline number 800 209 118.